If you’re a beginner, you will soon find out that sewing involves more than just threading a needle. Whether you want to sew by hand or through a machine, there are some basic necessities that you need to acclimatize yourself with before you indulge in any project. For example, sewers should know that it is important to buy good-quality equipment and accessories, even if you’re trying to stick to a budget. This will save you quite a few unnecessary expenses in the long run. You should also plan your project in advance while planning the number of days that it will take you to complete it.
Here are some basic essentials that you should follow to bring your project to a successful completion.
- Gridded cutting mat: A gridded cutting mat will enable your rotary blade to glide even more smoothly across your fabric. By the same token, a gridded cutting mat will largely extend the life of your rotary blade. The OLFA Professional 18 x 24” rotary mat, for instance, is an extremely popular choice. Cutting mats should be kept away from extreme temperatures. They should also be kept flat instead of rolled up.
- Fabric scissors: The one mistake that most beginners make is buy just about any pair of scissor for their sewing. This will undoubtedly result in uneven and blotchy cuts. Consequently, don’t hesitate to go for a pair of good-quality fabric scissors with stainless-steel blades.
- Bobbin: While most sewing machines do come with bobbins and bobbin holders, it’s always best to go for extra bobbins to easily change thread colors. However, if you do not have any prior sewing experience, it is best to keep one thread color per bobbin. Sewers who are using a machine should check the settings on their machines beforehand to ensure that their bobbins are compatible with their selected model.
- Rotary cutter: Most rotary cutters, like the Fiskars Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter include a 45mm blade, hence enabling you to cut different types of materials designed for sewing, quilting and embroidery. Most rotary cutters also include a loop handle for added comfort and control. This provides you with greater precision while providing you with more visibility- something that can come in quite handy to left-handed users.
- Supply box: Every sewer requires a bobbin and supply box to facilitate their sewing. These normally come with different compartments that allow you to easily sort various accessories such as pins and needles, metal and plastic bobbins as well as magnetic strips for your extra needles.